Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas Melbourne



I am so excited for Christmas! This year is especially fun for our family because Ava is understanding so much and getting excited about everything!  Here are a few pictures of things we have been doing to  enjoy the holiday's in Melbourne.
Every year in front of Meyer's there are Christmas displays in the windows that move and sing. 
She was so excited about the dancing elves
Some firemen showed up to bring lollies for the kids

Inside the firetruck

There are some things that just aren't the same here, like the absence of a decent radio station that plays Christmas music. However, one thing I really appreciate about Australia is that they unabashedly say, "Merry Christmas!" It is written all over the city on banners, signs, and store window's. Both Santa and Nativity Creche's are equally represented, and the funny thing is Melbourne is just as diverse as any major U.S. city. There are plenty of people who don't celebrate Christmas but also choose not to be offended that other people do celebrate it. By the same token I take no offence if someone wishes me a Happy Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or any other holiday that person celebrates. I feel honored by their well wishes. It is really refreshing to be somewhere that says "Merry Christmas!"


A few of the "Merry Christmas Melbourne" signs around the city

Christmas village



After walking home from a friends Christmas party we stopped to see some of the Ringtail  opossums. This particular one Ava really wanted to get to know. She pointed to herself and said, "I... Ava".
Cute picture I took at her playgroup Christmas party.

Below are a couple of pictures from Ava's Mini Maestro's Christmas Concert, which is basically  a music and dance class for toddlers. I was a little nervous when I enrolled her because she likes to run around and do her own thing, I wasn't sure if she would want to follow the instructions of the teacher. However I was pleasantly surprised at how attentive she is during class. It is adorable to see how badly she wants to do everything just right. 
 Performing in her Christmas Concert

With the Maestro's bumblebee

 Below are some pictures I took this week when we went to the Prahran Market. Really it has nothing to do with Christmas because we go all the time except for the fact that this week Santa paid the kids a visit. 

Every week there is free face painting.  Ava actually showed some interest this week and when  the artist asked what she would like Ava said, "Tiger face". When the woman showed her some examples she pointed to the white kitty face. She still told everyone that it was her 'tiger face'. Unfortunately Ava wouldn't sit still long enough for the woman to finish so really she just looked like a kid with white paint all over. 



 When I told her santa would be there she couldn't stop asking about him and yet when she got her chance she wouldn't go near him. He even gave her a toy! This is the best picture I could get. I felt bad for Santa, he's probably not used to the 80 degree weather.




Favorite carousel horses

Every Thursday there is a musician that who comes to sing songs with the kids. He puts out instruments so the kids can sing and play along.

Movin' and groovin'

Fireworks are a big part of the holidays around here. Not just on New Years but Christmas as well. Since we live right on the harbor promenade our porch is perfect viewing for the nightly fireworks and evening Christmas concerts. Last night was the first fireworks show of the season with more to come. The usual quiet promenade is now bustling with people dining in restaurants, shopping, or just around to see the show. 




One of my favorite things to do around Christmas time is to wait until it's dark and see all the beautiful Christmas lights. In the states that usually means bundling up and going out about 5:00pm. Here that means waiting until 9pm before both the sun goes down and the day's heat has cooled off. Although some have figured out that if you put a cool Christmas light show on the inside of a hotel lobby you can see Christmas lights at any time of day. Below is a picture I took inside of the Crown.


Daddy, Ava (and some random lady) listening to a Christmas Choir

And since it's not just Christmas but it's summer everyone hits the beach. This is one of our favorite Melbourne beaches because there are calm waves, lot's of fun snorkeling, and of course these classic Australian beach huts lined along the sand. 

I'm holding a starfish species that damage the rest of the marine life so we were allowed to take it home and dry it out.

 Our plan today (Christmas Eve) was to spend a day at the beach. However yesterday I noticed Ava wasn't acting like her normal peppy self. By afternoon she was running a fever and having a hard time keeping her eyes open so I put her to bed and she slept until about 9pm. I decided to make the most of an unexpected nap time and put together this blog post. The rest of her nap time I spent searching the internet for possible causes of her sickness. The internet to me is both a comfort and a source of anxiety. While it gave me comfort that most likely it was a stomach virus that would be over in 12-24 hours, it also advised that I should check for signs of meningitis! When Eric and I went into her room to check on her she gave us a funny look and then threw up. I have been blessed with a child that is very healthy, but because she never gets sick,  I worry like crazy at times like this.


After we cleaned her up she sat with Eric on the couch while I turned on our Christmas tree lights. She mustered up the energy to walk over to the table and grab her little nativity set and she snuggled up with Daddy again. Then she said, "Mommy come" and pointed to the couch beside her, so I followed orders and sat next to them. Together we all stared at the lights on our little Christmas tree. Ava pushed a button on her nativity that plays the tune of Away in a  Manger and the three of us sang along. Then Ava declared, "Ava...happy!" 


And there you have it, what Christmas is really all about. Ava has no idea that there are presents and a stocking coming, true happiness to her is about time together as a family singing songs by the Christmas tree. As I posted some of these pictures remembering all the fun we've had for our Australian Christmas, my most cherished memory of all was last night in our living room when I heard my sick child tell me she felt happy. I hope that all who read this are enjoying the Christmas season and take time to remember what we are really celebrating. When I read the story of our Savior's birth the stirring in my heart tells me that it is more than just a story. When I see the kindness and generosity all around me I know that He spent his life showing us how we should live. And when I hear my child who is in pain and discomfort declare that she is happy in spite of it all, I know that He died so we wouldn't have to suffer alone. That really is the best Christmas present of all! 


Merry Christmas!











5 comments:

Jess said...

Thanks for reminding me of the true meaning of Christmas. Love the baby bump, by the way. I hope Ava feels better soon. Love to all of you and a Merry Christmas.

Camille and Jake said...

We love and miss you guys, but time will fly til we see you again! So I'm so glad to know you've had a wonderful Christmas there, this may or may not have made me tear up...I blame pregnancy ;). Anyway, we'll be praying for Ava, and Merry Christmas!!

Jared said...

Well I teared up Camille and I am not pregnant. Thanks for the post. I was watching the slides show Dad gave us for christmas and I could see Ava in Eric's pictures. But I think she had your eyes Cheryl. I hope Ava is feeling better. Even in nice weather we can get the flu.

Jared and Stephanie said...

I forgot to sign out of Jared's account. It was really me commenting. Ha Ha.

Jessica Brown said...

Thanks a lot for making me cry. :) That was a beautiful image of you guys sitting all together by the Christmas tree. I hope Ava gets better soon. And Merry Christmas!